1. Blender is an open-source 3D computer graphics software product used for creating animated films, visual effects, interactive 3D applications or video games. This would be a great choice to begin 3D animation, or even to use for any of your animation or gaming needs.
2. eSpeak text to speech is a compact open source software speech synthesizer for English and other languages, for Linux and Windows. It is used to provide audio text reading in multiple languages, in a clear and precise manner.
3. KTouch is a software application written for the KDE SC desktop environment that drills students in the method of touch typing. It is a useful tool for training computer users in improving their typing, and helps not just with touch-typing but with speed and precision whilst looking as well.
4. KTooN is a software application for the design and creation of 2D animation. This is a useful open source program for online animators, and is a great 2D animation program.
5. Skencil, formerly called Sketch, is a free software vector graphics editor. It is similar to Windows Paint, but with more advanced tools, making it a simple and easy to use program that offers a range of image editing tools.